Sunday, February 3, 2013

BLT Pasta Salad

Every time we all get together with my in-law's it's kind of a fight of what to bring because with so many of us, we can only have so many fruit and veggie trays or some sort of salad. I'm always looking for some sort of new salad or dessert or something for these kind of events just so I know we're not eating the same thing or I'm not the one bringing the same thing every time, or if I am that it gets an added creative twist.

When I stumbled across this recipe (thank you Pinterest!) I knew we had to try it because it's something that would be great for our big group, and I love me a BLT, so getting it in a salad form was just an added plus! So here, I bring you with a salad version of a delicious lunch item!

(Not my picture or recipe. For original click on title.)


Ingredients:
12 oz. corkscrew-shaped pasta
1/2 c. milk
12 oz. lean bacon
3 medium rip tomatoes, cut into chunks
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/2 c. mayo
1/4 c. sour cream
4 Tbsp. chopped chives or scallion greens
5 heads Bibb lettuce, quartered, or 5 c. chopped romaine lettuce

Directions:
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water as the label directs. Drain and toss with milk in a large bowl; set aside.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a large skillet over med-high heat until crisp (I always bake my bacon). Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 3 Tbsp. of pan drippings. Add the tomatoes, thyme, and garlic to the pan and toss until warmed through; season with salt and pepper. Crumble the bacon into bite-sized pieced; set aside 1/4 c. for garnish. Toss the remaining bacon and tomato mixture with the pasta.

Mix the mayo, sour cream, and 3 Tbsp. chives with the pasta until evenly combined. Season with salt and pepper. Add lettuce; toss again to coat. Garnish with the reserved bacon and the remaining 1 Tbsp. chives. Serve at room temperature.


I hope this works as well with your family as it does ours. I know I'll definitely be making this next time we're all together!

To view pin, click here!

Until next time,

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment